Based on feedback from users of first edition, COMAP has completed a major
revision of Course 1, now available on CD-ROM.
• Some chapters are completely rewritten (i.e., Pick a Winner and Landsat, which is
now titled Scene from Above). Other chapters are streamlined while retaining the
thematic, modeling approach.
• Most chapters are shorter. The revised Course 1 has a total of 57 Activities—
a 39% reduction from first edition’s 93.
• Each Activity and Individual Work has a clear statement of purpose in the
student edition and in the teacher materials.
• Lesson structure is more consistent than in the first edition from chapter to chapter.
• Many activities are shorter than in first edition; they are designed for
completion in one 45-minute class period.
• Individual Work offers more mathematical practice problems.
• Both quantity of reading and reading level are reduced.
• FYI, Take Note, and Modeling Note features call attention to key facts.
• Teacher Notes indicate which Individual Work questions are essential to future
development work and which are calculator related.
• Chapter summaries are clearer and more succinct in their review of important mathematics.
Course 1 of the Mathematics: Modeling Our World (MMOW) curriculum offers additional resources to supplement the text:
The embedded teacher materials are designated by two kinds of icons that are also color-coded.
A note icon opens a popup window when the cursor moves over it. Whether the entire note fits in the popup depends on the individual settings.
There are two types of notes embedded in the teachers files:
Yellow teaching notes that are relatively short and contain no figures or equations.
Short answer sets that contain no figures or equations. Usually these are answers for discussion/reflection questions or short activities.
The second type of icon is a pin that indicates an attachment. The attachment opens in a second window when the icon is doubled-clicked.
There are three types of attachments embedded in the teachers files:
Yellow teaching notes that contain figures or equations.
Answer sets for most activities and individual work exercises.
Support materials: assessment problems, handouts, transparencies, and supplemental activities.
Calculator and computer software
Calculator and computer software written specifically for Mathematics: Modeling Our World (MMOW). With software programs for each chapter allows students to explore real-world themes with the same tools used by scientists, technicians, and business people. The software includes graphing calculator programs, specialty computers, spreadsheet template, data sets, and geometric drawing utility sketches.
Video segments accompany each chapter and are used to motivate students as they begin a chapter, or to provide additional information for a specific problem.
Teacher training and support available through COMAP staff trainers, through a toll-free support line (1-800-772-6627), and via our Teacher Support Website.