COMAP'S High School Mathematical Contest in Modeling (HiMCM) is an international contest designed to provide students with the opportunity to work as team members to engage in and improve their modeling, problem solving, and writing skills. Teams from your school apply mathematics to model and develop a solution to a real-world problem.
Each team can have up to four students and there is no limit on the number of teams a school can register for the contest.
Some high school faculty members use the contest as part of a mathematics or modeling course, some as a math club activity, and some simply encourage student teams to participate just for fun. Please share this information with all mathematics teachers and other high school educators (science, technology, engineering, etc.).
Previous HiMCM problems include:
- Roller Coasters: Develop an Objective Ranking System
- Drone Clusters as Sky Light Displays: Design an Aerial Drone Light Show
- Shop and Ship: Optimal Placement of Warehouses for 1-Day Ground Shipping
- Swim, Bike, and Run: Minimize Congestion and Road Closures for a Triathlon
- Art Gallery Security: Determine Most Secure Configuration for an Art Exhibit
Teams will have a 14-day window in which to download and choose their problem, complete their modeling solution, and electronically submit their solution document to COMAP for centralized judging. We encourage you and your students to form one or more teams to represent your school in this prestigious international contest.